How to Clean Metal Grinder
When you have used your grinder for a long time, you will find the gunk that stuck on your grinder and makes it harder to grind your herb. I have no idea how many grinders I disposed so far because of that. However, there's an easy way to revive your grinder and retrieve the residue plant material stuck on it.
This guide will save your time and money. (I wish I knew it earlier!)
When to Clean the Weed Grinder
When you have to clean your grinder is totally depends on how and how often you use it. If you are a heavy smoker and use grinder in hourly basis, you definitely need to clean your grinder once a week. In general, if your grinder makes a squealing sound when twisted and its base has hard deposits of sticky plant matter, it needs cleaning.
How to Save Your Kief?
Before you clean your grinder, your biggest concern would be how to save your kief you've been saving. Well, just put your dirty grinder in the freezer for 15 to 30 minutes. Once frozen, dismantle the herb grinder, brush the build-ups from each grinder piece using a toothbrush or toothpick.
5 Steps for Cleaning Metal Grinders
The method varies with the type of grinders. Use warm water for acrylic and plastic grinders. Acrylic will melt, and plastic will deform if the water is too hot.
For metal grinders, use a mixture of coarse salt and isopropyl alcohol or plain boiling water. The following steps are idea only for metal grinders.
- Before you immerse parts of the grinder in isopropyl alcohol, give them a thorough hot water wash (ideally, with dish soap) and wipe them dry. It will ensure not having to replace the alcohol solution too often.
- Fill a zip-lock bag with isopropyl alcohol and coarse salt and add only the pieces that need cleaning. (usually grinding wheel, kief catcher, and mesh).
- If the parts are not well immersed, shake the pieces every 10 minutes.
- Depending on how dirty the grinder is and how much gunk has deposited in the crevices and threads, keep it soaked between 20 minutes to an hour (several hours for deep clean).
- If any, clean the remaining gunk with a nylon brush and dry each part with a paper towel.
Assemble each part, and your grinder is ready to use.